Sunday, December 6, 2009

A Football Program Ends. A Romance Doesn't.

URL: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/06/sports/ncaafootball/06vescey.html?em

Author: George Vecsey

Summary: On Nov. 23, Northeastern University in Boston terminated its football team, and its football program all together. A move that saddened both Tom Mitchell and his wife Rosemarie Mitchell, for he was the captain of the team and she was the homecoming queen and the president of the University. Vecsey also expresses his unhappiness because just recently Holfstra University, the school he attended, also abruptly pulled the plug on the football program.

There is no doubt that in the US, football is such a critical role which factors in on a college's identity.

Mitchell, now a business man in Rolling Lands, Ill., knows that financially Northeastern made the "right" call because it would cost millions to maintain the tattered team, but as an ex-player for the team, he can't help but think "you can't put a figure on it" and be a little disappointed.

Although Mitchell is mourning, he realizes the other great things in his life, that he is appreciative for, that Northeastern gave him.

"I got a wife out of it," he says.

What I learned about writing: This article teaches me that in some cases, in certain article opportunities, I may have an edge over other columnists or writers. In the future that is. In these cases, this edge means power - power in writing a better article on the same subject as someone else. The factor is the personal factor.

In Vecsey's piece, in the 8th paragraph, he adds in that he knows of Mitchell's gloominess, because the college which he attended also lost its football team. Football heart and spirit and fans and cheerleaders. Football everything.

I bet you that Vecsey took on this article because he could relate to the tone of the story. That someone in his office probably agreed to write the piece and get it over with. Publish it. Forget about it.

Vecsey said no, I know, this more than you do, I know I can write this article better than you can. I have that power and you don't.

Know... I am just assuming this, but I'd like to think that sometimes I am right about somethings.

I learned that the things that happen to me now, Here, may affect how I write those articles in that office, in that city, on that day, There.






No comments:

Post a Comment